Last week on the Inner Woman Wellness social feeds, we were discussing the Endocrine System and just how important it is!
It’s so important to learn the process of your body to better help you on your health journey and the Endocrine system works in sync with all the other systems within your body. It is a chemical messenger system of hormones that are released by the internal glands within the body. Each gland produces hormones that have very specific roles to play, such as; regulating metabolism, growth and development, tissue function, sexual function, reproduction, sleep and mood, amongst many other things. If one of these glands are affected by poor health, it can mean a knock-on effect to other areas of your body
Here’s a rundown of what we covered:
· Adrenal Glands - These are one of the major endocrine glands and boy they have a big job! Situated on top of each kidney, they are responsible for making androgens and cortisol, they are responsible for your 'flight or fight' response. They give your body odour, pubic hair, helps in how we respond to stress, regulates blood pressure and many more elements.
· Hypothalamus – Located at the base of the brain. This gland regulates body temperature, appetite, weight, mood, sex drive, sleep and thirst.
· Ovaries - Our ovaries are another key endocrine gland, located on opposite ends of the pelvic wall, on either side of the uterus. These are the female reproductive glands that produce eggs and sex hormones - including oestrogren, testosterone and progesterone - which are vital to reproductive organ development, breast development, bone health, pregnancy and fertility.
· Pancreas - This produces insulin, glucagon and other hormones, but primarily it's responsible for controlling blood sugar levels. This is the one that has a hard job when we have those sugar cravings!
· Parathyroid – This gland is responsible for controlling the amount of calcium in our bones and blood and our located behind the thyroid at the bottom of your neck.
· Pineal Gland - You love getting your zzz's, one of the key components to achieving optimal health, well the Pineal Gland is the one responsible for producing melatonin which is super important for your sleep cycles! This small gland is located on the back portion of the third cerebral ventricle of the brain, which is a fluid-filled space.
· Pituitary Gland - This bad boy is the big controller within the body, making the hormones that control growth, reproduction, lactation and the activity of the other glands. This one has a big job to do and is about the size of a pea! This sits in the brain, and sits just behind the bridge of the nose.
· Thymus - This gland is active until we reach puberty, produces cells crucial to the immune system that protect the body from threats such as viruses and infections. This is located in the upper front part of your chest behind your sternum and between your lungs.
· Thyroid - This super gland, based at the base of your neck, produces hormones that control the rate at which the body burns calories and how fast the heart beats.
And that is the Endocrine system for you all! Hope this helped and gave you some clarity of how bloody awesome our bodies are!